Can hyperkalemia be prevented?

Hyperkalemia is a life-threatening condition that can sometimes be prevented. Acute and chronic kidney disease are the most common causes of too much potassium in the blood. Individuals receiving dialysis can help prevent the buildup of too much potassium in the blood by adhering to their scheduled treatment times. Alcohol and recreational drugs can damage the kidneys and raise the risk for hyperkalemia. Close monitoring of medications and regular blood tests to check for kidney function and potassium levels in the blood will help prevent the condition. Avoid the overuse of potassium supplements and foods high in potassium. Individuals with diabetes should control their condition to avoid acidosis, which results in too much potassium in the blood. Injuries can damage the kidney and lead to hyperkalemia, so use basic safety precautions when engaging in risky activities.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...