How can a bone marrow transplant treat an inherited metabolic disorder?

In some cases, a bone marrow transplant can help treat an inherited metabolic disorder, such as mucopolysaccharidoses. In the case of mucopolysaccharidoses, the body cannot break down and store the sugar molecules it needs to build healthy tissue, and the deposits instead accumulate in other areas of the body. If caught early, a bone marrow transplant can sometimes help to slow the progress of the disorder or stop it altogether. But this treatment is still in development; further, it is not always effective and may even result in disbility or death.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...