How are blood tests used to diagnose inherited metabolic disorders?

In many cases, doctors will use a blood test to diagnose inherited metabolic disorders. Because these disorders are the result of a genetic mutation, doctors can examine the blood to see if a defect is present. In other cases, specific chemicals in the blood indicate a certain metabolic disorder.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
How do metabolic disorders affect the body?
Metabolic disorders are often inherited, meaning they are caused by genetic problems that affect the...