Are blood sugar levels important for acid-base metabolism disorders?

High and low blood sugar levels can make people more susceptible to acid-base metabolism disorders. Unmanaged diabetes can cause a buildup of acidic ketones, called diabetic ketoacidosis, which can be life-threatening if not promptly treated. Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, can cause a buildup of lactic acid, which can lead to another kind of acid-base metabolism disorder.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
How do metabolic disorders affect the body?
Metabolic disorders are often inherited, meaning they are caused by genetic problems that affect the...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...