Are over-the-counter medications available for hypokalemia?

The treatment for hypokalemia is potassium supplementation to raise the levels of potassium in the blood. Supplements containing potassium are available over-the-counter, but should be used under the supervision of a health professional. If potassium levels are raised too quickly or too high, another condition that can be very serious called hyperkalemia results.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What is systematic amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are three major types of systemic amyloidosis: Primary amyloidosis (AL), the most common f...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...