Are over-the-counter medications available for hypokalemia?

The treatment for hypokalemia is potassium supplementation to raise the levels of potassium in the blood. Supplements containing potassium are available over-the-counter, but should be used under the supervision of a health professional. If potassium levels are raised too quickly or too high, another condition that can be very serious called hyperkalemia results.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...