Does androgen insensitivity syndrome affect men differently than women?

Androgen insensitivity syndrome is a complex disorder when it comes to the sexes. People who are affected by AIS are genetically male, which means they have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. However, since their bodies don't respond to male sex hormones, they appear physically female. Most people with complete AIS are raised as girls and have female gender identities - they just lack female reproductive organs. People with partial AIS, however, may have ambiguous genitals and may have the physical characteristics of both males and females.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
What are lipid disorders?
Lipid disorders are a group of conditions characterized by abnormal levels of fatty substances in th...