Can androgen insensitivity syndrome cause permanent damage?

Androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS) is a permanent genetic condition, so many of its effects last a lifetime. Certain effects may be treated - for instance, undescended tests may be removed, hormone therapy may bring about physical characteristics of the person's gender, and genital surgery may help improve the appearance and function of the genitals. Other effects may be more permanent. Women with complete AIS don't have female reproductive organs, so one significant permanent effect is infertility. AIS may also cause psychological issues that can affect a person permanently.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What is gangliosidoses?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The gangliosidoses are a group of inherited metabolic diseases caused by a deficiency of the differe...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...