What causes mesenteric lymphadenitis?

Any case of lymphadenitis generally results from an infection in the body. Inflammation of the lymph nodes in the mesentery (the membrane that attaches the intestine to the wall of the abdomen) is usually caused by an infection in the intestinal region. Lymphatic inflammations usually occur around the area of infection because the lymph nodes are working to kill whatever bacteria or virus is infecting the area. Gastroenteritis caused by a viral infection is one of the most common causes of mesenteric lymphadenitis.

Continue Learning about Mesenteric Lymphadenitis

Can mesenteric lymphadenitis be prevented?
Mesenteric lymphadenitis usually starts from an infection in the body. Sometimes it is impossible to...
How common is mesenteric lymphadenitis?
Mesenteric lymphadenitis is more common in children and teenagers than adults. Mesenteric lympha...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mesenteric lymphadenitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor if you think you have the symptoms of mesenteric lymphadenitis. Although mesente...
How do I manage my mesenteric lymphadenitis on a daily basis?
Mesenteric lymphadenitis only lasts for a few days or weeks before it clears on its own. During the ...