Advertisement

What is mercury poisoning?

Mercury poisoning is a serious condition that can cause long-term, permanent damage to the human nervous system, digestive system, kidneys, and lungs. Mercury poisoning results from over-exposure to high levels of mercury. There are two main ways we are exposed to mercury. The first is through breathing mercury vapor. The second is by eating food and drinking water or other liquids that have been contaminated with methylmercury, a common mercury compound.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

How do medications treat mercury poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
There are very few medications that can be used to treat mercury poisoning. They include bronchodila...
More Answers
Should I eat larger or smaller cold water fish?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
It is important to eat the smaller cold-water fish, such as canned light tuna, salmon, and pollock, ...
More Answers
Does mercury in fish cause health problems?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
While several servings of fish a week can be part of a healthy diet, it is important to ensure that ...
More Answers
Are there alternative treatments for mercury poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Scientific data does not seem to support the use of alternative treatments for mercury poisoning. De...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.