What causes mercury poisoning?

Mercury poisoning is caused by over-exposure to high levels of mercury. Ingesting food (like some types of fish) and liquids or inhaling air with high levels of mercury contamination may cause mercury poisoning.

Mercury is released naturally from the earth and from human activities, such as mining and manufacturing. Mercury comes in three forms, and each one is toxic to humans. Elemental or metallic mercury is liquid at room temperature and evaporates to become mercury vapor. Inorganic mercury forms a compound with another element, such as oxygen, and becomes a salt. Organic mercury combines with carbon, and its most common form is methylmercury.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

How do other illnesses affect mercury poisoning?
Mercury poisoning affects the major systems of the human body, especially the nervous system, kidney...
How can exposure to mercury affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Caution: That sushi you are eating could be hazardous to your health. Mercury, a naturally occurring...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?
Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no lo...
Should I talk to my doctor about mercury poisoning symptoms?
You should absolutely talk to your doctor immediately if you have any symptoms of mercury poisoning....