What causes mercury poisoning?

Mercury poisoning is caused by over-exposure to high levels of mercury. Ingesting food (like some types of fish) and liquids or inhaling air with high levels of mercury contamination may cause mercury poisoning.

Mercury is released naturally from the earth and from human activities, such as mining and manufacturing. Mercury comes in three forms, and each one is toxic to humans. Elemental or metallic mercury is liquid at room temperature and evaporates to become mercury vapor. Inorganic mercury forms a compound with another element, such as oxygen, and becomes a salt. Organic mercury combines with carbon, and its most common form is methylmercury.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?
Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no lo...
How is mercury poisoning diagnosed?
It is possible to test samples of blood, urine, and hair to determine how much mercury people may ha...
Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
Does mercury poisoning affect children differently than adults?
Mercury poisoning is extremely dangerous to developing fetuses, nursing babies, and young children. ...