What is being done about preventing mercury poisoning?

The federal government sets acceptable mercury levels for water, fish and shellfish, grain, the places where people work, hazardous waste, and products. The United States Environmental Protection Agency is mandated to regulate mercury emissions under the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Various federal agencies provide information for the public about mercury poisoning and how to lower their risk. State governments also establish regulations to control mercury emissions.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

How can exposure to mercury affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Caution: That sushi you are eating could be hazardous to your health. Mercury, a naturally occurring...
Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?
Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no lo...
Should I eat larger or smaller cold water fish?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
It is important to eat the smaller cold-water fish, such as canned light tuna, salmon, and pollock, ...