Is mercury poisoning serious?

Mercury poisoning is an extremely serious condition. Mercury is a neurotoxin and can cause permanent damage to the human nervous system. Prolonged exposure can also cause damage the digestive system, kidneys, and lungs and can lead to death. Mercury poisoning is particularly dangerous to developing fetuses, nursing babies, and young children. Although many cases of mercury poisoning are temporary and resolve themselves without permanent damage, the symptoms are still uncomfortable. They range from nausea, chest constriction, and eye irritation to skin rashes and headaches.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?
Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no lo...
Does mercury in fish cause health problems?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
While several servings of fish a week can be part of a healthy diet, it is important to ensure that ...
How do other illnesses affect mercury poisoning?
Mercury poisoning affects the major systems of the human body, especially the nervous system, kidney...