Advertisement

Is mercury poisoning serious?

Mercury poisoning is an extremely serious condition. Mercury is a neurotoxin and can cause permanent damage to the human nervous system. Prolonged exposure can also cause damage the digestive system, kidneys, and lungs and can lead to death. Mercury poisoning is particularly dangerous to developing fetuses, nursing babies, and young children. Although many cases of mercury poisoning are temporary and resolve themselves without permanent damage, the symptoms are still uncomfortable. They range from nausea, chest constriction, and eye irritation to skin rashes and headaches.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
More Answers
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no lo...
More Answers
Does mercury in fish cause health problems?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
While several servings of fish a week can be part of a healthy diet, it is important to ensure that ...
More Answers
How do other illnesses affect mercury poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Mercury poisoning affects the major systems of the human body, especially the nervous system, kidney...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.