How is mercury poisoning diagnosed?

It is possible to test samples of blood, urine, and hair to determine how much mercury people may have in their systems. Blood tests are most useful if there has been recent exposure to mercury. Tests of blood and hair can show exposure to methylmercury. Urine tests are most useful to test for exposure to mercury vapor. If the tests indicate high levels of mercury, X-rays and additional blood and urine tests may show the extent of damage to the lungs and kidneys. Breast milk can also be tested.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
Which fish have lower mercury levels?
Do fears about mercury keep you from reeling in the health benefits of fish? If so, you could be...
How can exposure to mercury affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Caution: That sushi you are eating could be hazardous to your health. Mercury, a naturally occurring...
How does mercury poisoning affect the body?
Mercury and mercury compounds are neurotoxins, which attack the neurons in the human nervous system,...