What do I need to know about caring for someone with mercury poisoning?

Most of the time, the effects of mercury poisoning disappear within 90 days once the person is no longer exposed. You can help by carefully eliminating any sources of mercury exposure, disposing of any contaminated items properly, providing supportive care, monitoring the person's recovery, and talking to the doctor the moment you see something unusual. Sometimes it takes time for symptoms to surface. Be on the lookout for excessive coughing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, irritability, and trouble sleeping, for example. Mercury poisoning is not contagious, so there is no danger to you.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

Is mercury poisoning serious?
Mercury poisoning is an extremely serious condition. Mercury is a neurotoxin and can cause permanent...
Which fish have high mercury levels?
The more time fish spend living in a mercury-laden environment or eating other fish containing m...
Can I get mercury poison from eating fish?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
Fish is a very important source of healthy fats (long chain polyunsturates), but some fish can conta...
Is there a cure for mercury poisoning?
Carmen F. Alfonso, DOCarmen F. Alfonso, DO
Mercury poisoning (also known as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is a disease caused by exposure to mer...