Can mercury poisoning be prevented?

Most people on earth already have a low level of mercury in their bodies, which continues to accumulate over time. The challenge, therefore, is to prevent and control additional exposure to avoid mercury poisoning. For example, because big fish store methylmercury in their bodies, you should try to limit how much shark, swordfish, tilefish, and king mackerel you eat. You need to be very careful when you handle and dispose of anything with mercury, including batteries, fluorescent lights, and some medical equipment. Never vacuum up spilled mercury, steer clear of cosmetics that contain mercury, and make sure your workplace is ventilated correctly if mercury is used in manufacturing.

Continue Learning about Mercury Poisoning

How do medications treat mercury poisoning?
There are very few medications that can be used to treat mercury poisoning. They include bronchodila...
Should I talk to my doctor about mercury poisoning symptoms?
You should absolutely talk to your doctor immediately if you have any symptoms of mercury poisoning....
What is being done about preventing mercury poisoning?
The federal government sets acceptable mercury levels for water, fish and shellfish, grain, the plac...
How can exposure to mercury affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Caution: That sushi you are eating could be hazardous to your health. Mercury, a naturally occurring...