What do I need to know about caring for someone with mental retardation?

Individuals with MR/ID do best when cared for by a team of professionals including social workers, therapists, neurologists and psychologists. This team will help you to manage your child's condition with exercises, therapies and behavioral techniques.

Children tend to do best when living at home with family support.

Individuals with MR/ID have different levels of disability. Their level of functioning will help determine what types of support are needed.

Continue Learning about Mental Retardation

Should I consult my doctor about my child's mental retardation?
If your child exhibits symptoms of mental retardation such as delayed language development and does ...
Why is mental retardation also called intellectual disability?
Many doctors and other health professionals have begun to replace the term "mental retardation" with...
Does mental retardation affect children differently than adults?
Mental retardation is identified between birth and six years old. Affected children tend to lag behi...
How common is mental retardation?
Mental retardation is diagnosed based on intelligence scores and the amount of support needed for no...