How common is mental retardation?

Mental retardation is diagnosed based on intelligence scores and the amount of support needed for normal functioning. About 1 percent of the population has mental retardation that requires support. However, based on IQ tests alone, about 3 percent of the population is classified as MR/ID. Doctors are able to identify a cause for in about 25 percent of affected individuals.

Continue Learning about Mental Retardation

Why is mental retardation also called intellectual disability?
Many doctors and other health professionals have begun to replace the term "mental retardation" with...
How does mental retardation affect the body?
Infants with mental retardation/ intellectual disabilities (MR/ ID) may have physical abnormalities ...
Should I consult my doctor about my child's mental retardation?
If your child exhibits symptoms of mental retardation such as delayed language development and does ...
Can mental retardation be treated with medication?
No specific medications are used to treat all individuals with mental retardation.A team of health p...