Why should I be honest?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Say something honest about yourself and then repeat it again. Now say something dishonest about yourself and repeat it. Do you notice a change not only in your emotions but also in your energy? When you are dishonest your eyes may blink, your blood pressure may change, and your heart may change its rhythm.

You may believe living dishonestly is justified by your economic situation and that you can change later in life when your circumstances change. Just remember, the longer you avoid the truth, the greater price you will pay. When we avoid the truth about a relationship, the result can be infidelity or divorce. When we avoid the truth about our health, the result can be disease. When we avoid the truth about evil or oppression in our countries, it can result in wars. There is an old saying that I love: "Pay now or pay later." When you pay later, there are more consequences for your choices.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

One Psychologist's Advice for Coping After a National Tragedy
The mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 has devastated the nation. As we watch a community grie...
How can I become more resilient?
There are a number of things you can do to become more resilient. Everyone needs resilience, especia...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
How Has Treatment for Mental Disorders Changed?