Why should schools include mental health education in the curriculum?

When school systems include mental health education as part of the curriculum, teachers, too, learn about suicide prevention. In turn the information students bring home helps to educate their parents, who have a critical need to understand the symptoms of mental disorders and warning signs for suicide.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

Stigma and a lack of awareness and understanding often prevent people from recognizing and accepting mental health problems -whether in themselves or others. If we can educate people from a young age on what mental illness is, how to recognize it, what to do about it, and that it is simply another illness like diabetes or high blood pressure, people will be more likely to seek help when they need it.

The other possible benefit to mental health education in the curriculum is that young people learn to live healthier lives so that they might be less likely to develop mental illness as they get older. I've often had people tell me in therapy that they wish they had learned the skills I'm teaching them in kindergarten!

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Try These Tips to Ward Off Winter Blues
Try These Tips to Ward Off Winter Blues
Sometimes, when the temperatures drop and days grow shorter, the blues seep in. Feeling down in the winter is common, especially once the hubbub of th...
What format does counseling take place in?
Counseling takes place in many different settings and formats. It can occur face-to-face, over the p...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Why Is It Important to Figure Out Why I Feel Sad?