Why should schools include mental health education in the curriculum?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

Stigma and a lack of awareness and understanding often prevent people from recognizing and accepting mental health problems -whether in themselves or others. If we can educate people from a young age on what mental illness is, how to recognize it, what to do about it, and that it is simply another illness like diabetes or high blood pressure, people will be more likely to seek help when they need it.

The other possible benefit to mental health education in the curriculum is that young people learn to live healthier lives so that they might be less likely to develop mental illness as they get older. I've often had people tell me in therapy that they wish they had learned the skills I'm teaching them in kindergarten!

When school systems include mental health education as part of the curriculum, teachers, too, learn about suicide prevention. In turn the information students bring home helps to educate their parents, who have a critical need to understand the symptoms of mental disorders and warning signs for suicide.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Light Up Your Life
Light Up Your Life
Want to have more energy, feel more alert and be happier in general? Try this easy tip: soak up some sunshine. Related: FREE health insights and a wa...
How can I help a relative with mental illness who has been arrested?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Jail is no place for a person with serious mental illness (SMI) who has committed only a minor crime...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Dr. Mona Lisa Schulz - What would you say to other practicing doctors who write off intuition?