Why should I keep in touch with my relative who has serious mental illness?

For many reasons a number of people with serious mental illness (SMI) leave the family home to live in their own apartment or a group home, or other residence. They have few friends frequently, so that opportunities to talk and share experiences are limited. A study by the national mental illness charity in Australia, SANE, discovered that many people with SMI hadn't touched another person in a whole six-month period.

Though you may not live with your relative you should keep in touch with them regularly, if possible call them on the telephone, drop in to talk to them and leave a greeting/post card if they are out. In general, make them feel needed and wanted. Other family members can be encouraged to do their part; siblings and cousins can plan to meet the person for tea or go on some other pleasant activity (other than going to the doctor).

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How do subconscious filters shape my awareness?
Friedemann SchaubFriedemann Schaub
Every second of our lives, we’re surrounded by an incomprehensible amount of information. We nee...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Worrying?