Why should I keep in touch with my relative who has serious mental illness?

For many reasons a number of people with serious mental illness (SMI) leave the family home to live in their own apartment or a group home, or other residence. They have few friends frequently, so that opportunities to talk and share experiences are limited. A study by the national mental illness charity in Australia, SANE, discovered that many people with SMI hadn't touched another person in a whole six-month period.

Though you may not live with your relative you should keep in touch with them regularly, if possible call them on the telephone, drop in to talk to them and leave a greeting/post card if they are out. In general, make them feel needed and wanted. Other family members can be encouraged to do their part; siblings and cousins can plan to meet the person for tea or go on some other pleasant activity (other than going to the doctor).

Continue Learning about Mental Health

3 Stress Management Practices That Increase Our Empathy
Divided, We Suffer Concentrating on what divides us may feed our anger and righteousness, but it doesn’t feed our hearts and our health. Of course it’...
What type of social service is best suited to me?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Deciding what type of service is right for you involves self-awareness and a commitment to a higher ...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Scientific Breakthroughs Can We Expect to Hear About?