Why is general health important in treating vascular cognitive impairment?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
In treating vascular cognitive impairment, the most important thing is to take care of the person’s general health. Any known vascular disease, like a cardiac condition, high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars, must be managed. This is to prevent further cerebrovascular disease.

If you can prevent damage, you can actually stop the progression of vascular cognitive impairment. It will not get any worse if you control some very straightforward things.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Feeling Alone? Here's Why Veterans Need to Connect
In the military, you were used to a steady routine and friendships with other Servicemembers. At home as a Veteran, it can feel disorienting to lose t...
How do I make changes in my life?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Most of us have some inkling not only of how we'd like to be better but also of what we need to do t...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Worrying?