Why is general health important in treating vascular cognitive impairment?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
In treating vascular cognitive impairment, the most important thing is to take care of the person’s general health. Any known vascular disease, like a cardiac condition, high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars, must be managed. This is to prevent further cerebrovascular disease.

If you can prevent damage, you can actually stop the progression of vascular cognitive impairment. It will not get any worse if you control some very straightforward things.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How can I find a job if I have a serious mental illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Society defines people by their occupation. "What do you do?" is a very common question when you mee...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
3 Small Steps to Manage Mental Illness
3 Small Steps to Manage Mental Illness