Why does my doctor keep changing the dose of my mood disorder medication?

Doctors usually start patients on low dosages of medications so that the body has time to adjust. At the beginning of treatment, the doctor will explain the beginning dose and how the amount will rise or "step up" gradually over the coming months. During this period, your doctor will require that you meet with him regularly so that he can monitor your dosage, mood and any side effects. While there are some "typical" dosage standards, interestingly, some people respond well to low dosages; others require much higher dosages. While this period can be frustrating, take heart in the fact that the tinkering going on now will most likely set you up for a lifetime of the effective treatment.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How to Find a Veterans Community at Home
For many United States servicemen and women, transitioning from active duty to civilian life isn't easy. Some Veterans may feel lost or isolated, or l...
How common is delirium in older adults?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Delirium -- a state of mental confusion -- occurs in 10% to 20% of all hospitalized patients and...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?