Why should I have a discharge plan for my loved one with mental illness?

It has been documented that on many occasions, serious mental illness (SMI) patients are discharged without being fully stabilized and sometimes without their family's knowledge, certainly without a discharge plan. Discharge planning is essential to assure a good outcome for the person, transferring his care to mental health services in the community and to his home and family. Sending the patient out of the hospital with no plan has sometimes had unfortunate results including harm to self and/or to others.

As soon as your relative is admitted to hospital, seek to be involved in the planning for his discharge and maintain communication. Make sure your name and contact procedure are known to the persons responsible for his/her hospital stay.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Sometimes Crying Is Healthy
Sometimes Crying Is Healthy
In the 2008 film Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Peter Bretter (Jason Segel) takes a Hawaiian vacation to get over his recent breakup. But his ex and her n...
Why should members of a community be educated about mental illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
People need education to recognize the symptoms and signs of mental disorders and suicidal behaviors...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?