How can I improve my mental health?

Good mental health is not just the absence of mental health problems or diseases, and strategies to improve mental health can be beneficial for everyone. Mental health is highly correlated with physical health, so it is important to participate in regular exercise, eat nutritious foods, get outdoors, have good sleep habits and avoid toxic substances like tobacco, alcohol and drugs.

Other ways to improve mental health include the following:
  • managing stress with calming activities including meditation
  • improving interpersonal relationships (decrease TV/screen time, spend face-to-face time with people you like, volunteer or join clubs)
  • engaging in meaningful or creative work and leisure activities
It is also important to recognize warning signs of mental health disorders (including depressed mood, excess guilt, hopelessness and suicidal thoughts). If these signs arise, seek treatment.
Here are some things you can do to improve your mental health and lengthen your lifespan:
  • Tell fewer lies! The truth will set you free. Research from the University of Notre Dame found that telling fewer lies -- even little white lies -- is connected to better health. Americans lie an average of 11 times a week. Researchers got a sample of 110 people to stop lying for 10 weeks; they noticed their physical and mental health get significantly better and saw their personal relationships improve.
  • Get some music therapy! Since ancient times, music has been used to heal both the body and soul. Now, multiple research studies have proven the effects of music on both depression and anxiety -- in addition to high blood pressure, Alzheimer's and even cancer. Listening to music, especially slow and calming music, has been shown to decrease levels of cortisol, a stress hormone. A University of Miami study gave regular, healthy adults music therapy and found lower levels of depression and fatigue after six weeks.
  • Meditate mindfully! Meditation has worked to reduce stress levels for thousands of years, so why wouldn’t it work for you?
Whatever you have to do to keep your spirits up, do it. It may just save your life!

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Avoid Loneliness and Cultivate Personal Relationships
In Alan Sillitoe’s 1962 classic British film, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, a reform school student (Tom Courtenay) makes a name for him...
How can I help a relative with mental illness who has been arrested?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Jail is no place for a person with serious mental illness (SMI) who has committed only a minor crime...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Stop Worrying?
How Can I Stop Worrying?