What type of social service is best suited to me?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Deciding what type of service is right for you involves self-awareness and a commitment to a higher state of being. Yes, those are running themes here, but they are essential for consciously living in relationship with anyone and everyone, including those you seek to help. It may be useful to refer to the Enneagram when assessing your character traits as they relate to contribution. It can give you clues, not necessarily about what you should do, but about how to do it. So, for example, if you are a Four and you want to volunteer as a political activist, try to bring your creative and flamboyant spirit to the experience. Do not choose a boring rote activity or become just another member of a group. Keep in mind that assisting someone else should not be torture for you. For example, if you faint at the sight of blood, your call to service is probably not as an emergency medical technician. Ideally, the way you choose to benefit humanity should bring you pleasure and deep satisfaction - not only because you are doing something worthwhile, but because you love doing it. Finally, allow yourself to be led to where you may be needed most. You can call it divine providence, synchronicity, or fate, but try to recognize the opportunities that come your way on a daily basis. This does not mean that you should just sit back and wait for people in need to show up at your door. Keep your eyes open and you will see a million different paths of service to pursue. Follow one and see the possibilities unfold.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Reach Out and Touch Someone: It’s Good For You
The school of hard knocks can make us tough on the outside but more fragile on the inside. We convince ourselves that a tough exterior will protect us...
Can I reprogram my unconscious mind?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Here’s the good news: You can reprogram the unconscious mind. Even though your unconscious mind may ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Is Toxic Worrying?
What Is Toxic Worrying?