What is the Dopamine Hypothesis?

One of the earliest hypotheses involving brain chemicals and mental illness was the "Dopamine Hypothesis." This hypothesis, which has stood the test of time, is that excessive activity of a neurotransmitter called dopamine leads to psychotic symptoms. The hypothesis has been bolstered by the fact that drugs which block dopamine reduce psychosis (the antipsychotics), while drugs that stimulate dopamine can induce psychosis (cocaine and amphetamines).

Continue Learning about Mental Health

You Might Not Like It, but This Can Help Improve Your Mood
The Gallup-Sharecare 2016 Community Rankings for Exercise report examined rates of regular exercise in 189 communities across the U.S., asking residen...
How can I raise awareness about mental health issues in my community?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Motivated people can start an initiative, momentum may gather, and perhaps at some point a "champion...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Does Stress and Anxiety Affect the Brain?