What should I expect from drug therapy for my mood disorder?

Once your diagnosis is confirmed, your medical doctor or psychiatrist will go over the various medications available. Sometimes, you have to try one medication after another until you find one that works the best for your body and fits into your lifestyle. Many people with mood disorders try several medications and even combinations of medications before they settle into what works best. While you may have hoped for immediate results, this trial and error process is worth the time and effort.

Medications for mood disorders may also keep you waiting while they build up to sufficient levels in your body. Be patient when waiting for a new medication to start to work. If you're over fifty, you may require different amounts of medication than someone younger. Further, side effects from these medications can affect older patients more or in atypical ways. The effectiveness of the medication can depend on the function of your liver and kidneys. Other medications you take could also interfere with the new medication you're trying. Keeping records of your medications, when you take them and how you feel will help you communicate with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
Why is it important to trust my intuition when it comes to my health?
Kelly Turner, PhDKelly Turner, PhD
It's key to trust your intuition when it comes to your health, since it's a reactive, physical part ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Has the Science of Understanding Mental Health Changed?