What does being effective mean in dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
In dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), the skill of being effective refers to doing what works, doing what moves you closer to your long-term goals, and doing what you need to do to get your needs met. The first step to being effective is to figure out what your goal is: what it is that you're trying to accomplish. Once you decide what's most important to you in the long term, you must consider what you could do or how you should act to increase your chances of reaching your goal. Of course, acting effectively doesn't guarantee that you'll get what you're after, but it will increase your chances of meeting your goal.
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
Some people just need their alone time, but even the most introverted may eventually suffer health complications. "Humans are highly social mammals,” ...
How can I live a more honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
When we have lived a life of dishonesty either consciously or unconsciously, we need lots of support...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?