At what age does serious mental illness usually start?

Studies in Australia show that more than 75% of people who develop a serious mental illness have their first episode before the age of 25, with the highest prevalence being the 18-24 year age group. Such disorders can have a profound effect on the lives of young adults. It is important to highlight the importance of proper diagnosis and treatment -- and the sooner, the better.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How can I accept my physical limitations?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
You don't have to like your limitations in life, but - for healing to occur - you do have to acc...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Are Some Advantages of Mindfulness?