Is substance-induced psychotic disorder related to schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Drug and alcohol use can sometimes cause psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations, similar to symptoms of schizophrenia. Some of the drugs that are known to cause psychosis for some people include:

- marijuana
- cocaine
- amphetamines
- hallucinogens
- inhalants
- opioids

On occasion, withdrawal from drug and alcohol abuse can also cause the psychotic symptoms. It can be difficult to determine the cause of the hallucinations and delusions, however. When any type of psychosis is suspected, the person should be monitored closely. Substance-induced psychosis is assumed when psychotic symptoms begin immediately or within one month of drug use or withdrawal. Antipsychotic medications may be prescribed, depending on the substance that was used and the severity of symptoms. Benzodiazepines may also be helpful.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How to Tell if Your Bad Mood Is Actually Depression
Prince Harry, the son of Princess Diana and Prince Charles of the British royal family, sat down in April 2017 for a candid talk about his experience ...
How can I help a person with mental illness who feels like a burden?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
People with serious mental illness (SMI) may believe that they are a burden to their families throug...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Can I Do to Stop Picking My Scabs?
What Can I Do to Stop Picking My Scabs?