Are some veterans more likely to get psychosis than others?

Doctors and mental health professionals are very interested in the question of who is likely to develop psychosis, because early treatment might someday prevent the disorder. However, it is still not possible to predict the onset of psychosis, even among veterans who may be considered high-risk. Schizophrenia, the most common psychosis, is believed to develop due to a combination of biological, social, and psychological factors. A family history of psychotic disorders, stressors on the development of the brain (while in the womb or in infancy), pre-existing psychological vulnerabilities, living in an urban environment, and social stressors are the major risk factors.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
Some people just need their alone time, but even the most introverted may eventually suffer health complications. "Humans are highly social mammals,” ...
How can I protect my children from generalized anxiety disorder?
Kathy SowderKathy Sowder
Even though the causes of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) are not fully known, there are some thi...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Can Mindfulness Help Me Make Better Decisions?