What is the rate of incidence for muscle dysmorphia?

Many people with muscle dysmorphia don't seek treatment. Due to the cultural assumption that eating and body disorders are a "woman's issue," it is very possible that a large number of cases go unrecognized and unreported, and muscle dysmorphia is less well-known, researched, or recognized than anorexia nervosa or bulimia. Some research suggests that about 100,000 individuals in the world currently qualify as having muscle dysmorphia. It also appears that incidence rates are on the rise.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
In the movie The Social Network, a fictional depiction of the founding of Facebook, tech entrepreneur Sean Parker, played by Justin Timberlake, remark...
How can I develop my intuition?
Kelly Turner, PhDKelly Turner, PhD
Since our intuition is part of our physical bodies in the brain and gut, it's always there -- but we...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness