What are psychiatric service dogs?

Psychiatric service dogs are amazing helpers and companions for children and adults with mental health issues. They can perform many service tasks such as:

- remind handler to take medication on time
- warm handler’s body during a panic attack
- interrupt repetitive obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) behaviors
- comfort handler during emotional distress
- accompany handler outside of the home
- interrupt dissociative episodes or flashbacks
- protect and safeguard handler during seizure
- provide a safe grounding presence
- interrupt self-harming.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Reach Out and Touch Someone: It’s Good For You
The school of hard knocks can make us tough on the outside but more fragile on the inside. We convince ourselves that a tough exterior will protect us...
Why is it important to trust my intuition when it comes to my health?
Kelly Turner, PhDKelly Turner, PhD
It's key to trust your intuition when it comes to your health, since it's a reactive, physical part ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Are the Mentally Ill Over-Respresented in Crimes We See in the Media?