How can I protect my children from generalized anxiety disorder?

It may be difficult to protect children from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) because doctors are unsure of the specific cause. Anxiety is a normal part of life and all children will experience it on some level. Doctors believe that environment, family, and learned behaviors can all contribute to the development of GAD, so it's possible that modeling appropriate levels of anxiety and calm will help your child avoid the condition. It is important for parents to be aware of the symptoms and take their children to the pediatrician if GAD is suspected.

Kathy Sowder
Even though the causes of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) are not fully known, there are some things parents can do to protect their children from developing further anxiety. One would be to allow children to express their fears verbally without criticizing them, and even to share a parent`s own childhood fear and how it was experienced and then handled. Another way to help children is to teach them to think in rational and realistic ways, rather than exaggerating or "awfulizing". They can learn deep breathing and relaxation techniques. However, if a child`s fears and anxieties seem to increase and  interfere with the child`s life and activities, seeing the child`s pediatrician or a child therapist would be advised.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

3 Myths About the Midlife Crisis
3 Myths About the Midlife Crisis
We’ve all heard of the cliche: the middle-aged man with the new sports car and the girlfriend half his age. Classic sign of a midlife crisis, right? N...
How can I raise awareness about mental health issues in my community?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Motivated people can start an initiative, momentum may gather, and perhaps at some point a "champion...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
What Is a Current Myth Around Mental Illness?