How can I learn to achieve full awareness of my mind?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

In the West, we tend to relate awareness to one of the five senses. But the awareness you need to develop to clear negative emotions doesn’t involve the ability to see or hear things; rather, it is more akin to what Zen literature calls mindfulness: a sustained, watchful state of sensitivity, in which you’re open and receptive to sensations that arise within.

Awareness can be achieved only through letting go of conscious thought and active sensing. Otherwise, the conscious mind overrides the unconscious mind and suppresses this heightened inner sense. Awareness is similar to self-hypnosis, which is really just a state in which you improve your rapport with your unconscious mind. For example, when people perform self-hypnosis, they allow the mind and the body to relax, and they get more in touch with impulses from their unconscious minds. Awareness is also nonjudgmental, which means that as you turn your awareness upon a negative emotion or belief, you hold no thoughts of blame toward yourself or anyone else, nor do you ascribe to it a good or bad quality. For instance, if you are using self-awareness to clear a compulsive need to be perfect, which often causes people to be hypercritical of others and themselves, you might suddenly reexperience the pain of being harshly criticized by your parents for minor transgressions, or the overwhelming feeling of failure you felt when you were cut from junior high cheerleader tryouts. As these emotions resurface - and they will, for if they don’t, you can’t clear them - you simply note them without reacting to them. This means that as these experiences come up, you don’t blame your parents for being critical, and you don’t wallow in the embarrassment you felt at the age of thirteen. You train yourself just to be aware of them.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Avoid Loneliness and Cultivate Personal Relationships
In Alan Sillitoe’s 1962 classic British film, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, a reform school student (Tom Courtenay) makes a name for him...
How does my mood affect the people around me?
Wondering if you're a total buzzkill?Try this little experiment: Walk into a room. Is the mood of th...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can Mindfulness Help Me Deal with a Psychosomatic Illness?