How can in-person support groups help me cope with mental illness?

Ellen Frudakis
Health Education
Whether the in-person support group is led by a therapist or is a peer-support model, either can be good for you in multiple ways. First, they get you out of the house and around others. Second, they give you a chance to get support and understanding for what you are going through from people who know about it firsthand. Generally, you are not required to share, especially if it's your first time. So, just sit back, listen, and learn what it is all about.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Try These Tips to Ward Off Winter Blues
Try These Tips to Ward Off Winter Blues
Sometimes, when the temperatures drop and days grow shorter, the blues seep in. Feeling down in the winter is common, especially once the hubbub of th...
How can too much clutter be harmful to my health?
Christine Carter, PhDChristine Carter, PhD
Too much clutter in your space can be harmful to your health, because it creates a chronic state of ...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Why Is There a Stigma Associated with Mental Illness?