How can I help a person with serious mental illness who feels hopeless?

People with serious mental illness (SMI) often have feelings of hopelessness. Those with depression have seriously low moods that are difficult to change, even with medications and/or psychological therapy.
Be tolerant, loving and encouraging, raise the person's spirits in some way to encourage feelings of self worth. Learning more about SMI is the key to understanding. Try to persuade other family and friends away from criticism and negative attitudes.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Eat This Breakfast for Mental Well-Being
Eating a good breakfast doesn't just get your body ready to face the day. It may boost your mental well-being, too. Especially if you choose yogurt. ...
How can I become more resilient?
There are a number of things you can do to become more resilient. Everyone needs resilience, especia...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Why Is It Important to Look at the Function of Behavior When Making a Diagnosis?