How can I manage my schizoaffective disorder?

You can best manage your schizoaffective disorder by seeking treatment from a doctor or mental health worker. A combination of counseling and medication provides the best help to people with schizoaffective disorder. Tell your practitioner about all the symptoms you are experiencing, the medicines, vitamins and herbs you are using, and any life stresses you are facing. If you feel suicidal, call 911.

You can manage your schizoaffective disorder by consistently taking your medication and attending regular psychotherapy sessions. The medications will mitigate or completely eliminate your symptoms and the therapy sessions give you an opportunity for you to voice all your feelings and feel more connected, as well as discuss your concerns, worries, and struggles in life. It can also help you identify relapse warning signs and learn coping techniques.

Keep in mind that the medications can have some uncomfortable side effects. If you are unhappy with how the medications make you feel or the side effects they cause, talk to your doctor. Do not stop taking your medication cold turkey.

During a well period, the patient and therapist should make a written plan for what to do if signs of relapse appear. A friend or family member can also be involved. The plan should include:

• Specific warning signs of relapse.
  • Calling the therapist right away when warning signs of relapse appear.
  • Notifying friends and family who can help limit stress and stimulation.
  • Specific ways to decrease stress and stimulation and increase structure.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

What Mental Health Issues Affect Veterans Most?
Military life can be mentally and emotionally challenging at times. Whether you're in training, deployed or a Veteran, you may be dealing with anxiety...
How does my mood affect the people around me?
Wondering if you're a total buzzkill?Try this little experiment: Walk into a room. Is the mood of th...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Role Does Genetics and Environment Play in Understanding Mental Health?