How is schizoaffective disorder diagnosed?

Mark Moronell, MD
A diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder is made after a full medical, emotional, and behavioral evaluation. A psychiatrist or psychologist is often the most qualified person to diagnose schizoaffective disorder. The doctor will look for the following symptoms of schizoaffective disorder:

• Symptoms of schizophrenia, such as hallucinations or delusions
• Symptoms of a mood disorder, such as depression, mania, or a combination of the two
• Psychotic symptoms that do not appear to be caused by schizophrenia

The doctor will also want to find out if there are any relatives in your family who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia or a mood disorder. These illnesses often have a genetic component, and it will be important to identify if there is any family history. If you are diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, treatment is available, and most people with schizoaffective disorder do better than those who are only diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How can mindfulness help me deal with a psychosomatic illness?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
A psychosomatic illness affects the body but originates in the mind. In this video, psychotherap...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Can I Do to Cope with Toxic Worrying?