How can I help a person with mental illness who is socially withdrawn?

In all the serious mental illnesses, social withdrawal can be a problem. Young people with schizophrenia isolate themselves in their bedrooms. People with depression tend to stay in bed a lot of the time. It is difficult to know exactly the reason for this but the complex surroundings of a normal life may be too much for the person who is dealing with a considerably active or traumatic inner life.
Reach out carefully to the person despite their withdrawal. Forcing someone to join in with family life does not usually have the desired result. Gentle persuasion to be involved one on one with family members may be of benefit. It may also help to talk with the person about their withdrawal and show a genuine desire to understand. Ask questions and listen to the answers.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Can You Make Happiness a Habit?
Can You Make Happiness a Habit?
Dan Buettner is a National Geographic Fellow and multiple New York Times bestselling author. He discovered the five places in the world—dubbed “Blue Z...
How can I be happy with who I am?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Happiness doesn't come from what you have or your career but from recognizing what you have, experts...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
When Do You Decide If a Child Should Go on Medication?