How can I help a person with mental illness who is socially withdrawn?

In all the serious mental illnesses, social withdrawal can be a problem. Young people with schizophrenia isolate themselves in their bedrooms. People with depression tend to stay in bed a lot of the time. It is difficult to know exactly the reason for this but the complex surroundings of a normal life may be too much for the person who is dealing with a considerably active or traumatic inner life.
Reach out carefully to the person despite their withdrawal. Forcing someone to join in with family life does not usually have the desired result. Gentle persuasion to be involved one on one with family members may be of benefit. It may also help to talk with the person about their withdrawal and show a genuine desire to understand. Ask questions and listen to the answers.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Light Up Your Life
Light Up Your Life
Want to have more energy, feel more alert and be happier in general? Try this easy tip: soak up some sunshine. Related: FREE health insights and a wa...
How do I know what I am capable of changing in myself?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Look for a habitual story you tell yourself that is limiting you or keeping you in a negative state....
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Would Be a Good Investment for Advancing Mental Health?