How can I help a person with mental illness who feels like a burden?

People with serious mental illness (SMI) may believe that they are a burden to their families through their illness or other factors in their lives. They may feel that their families or friends would be better off without them. They may describe themselves as bad people.
If a family suspects that this is what their relative is feeling, efforts can be made to make the person feel valued as a good person, and wanted, needed and loved. Love, trust and sincerity are all important. Family education about mental illness often helps family caregivers to be less burdened, or to be more adept at managing, and coping with, the burden (if it is considered a burden) or stresses of caring.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Conditions That May Accompany ADHD
Conditions That May Accompany ADHD
Children, teens, and even adults with ADHD commonly develop one or more overlapping conditions, including anxiety and depression, sleep and personalit...
How can I find a job if I have a serious mental illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Society defines people by their occupation. "What do you do?" is a very common question when you mee...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Mental Disorders in Children and the Importance of Early Detection