How can I find a job if I have a serious mental illness?

Society defines people by their occupation. "What do you do?" is a very common question when you meet a person for the first time. Many people with serious mental illness (SMI) want a job just as everyone does, but finding one can be difficult. What's more, because people with SMI usually need a bit of extra guidance when they take a job it is sometimes difficult for them to stay employed. Though many people do not divulge their SMI to their employer, some employers are more understanding if they know about it, and may be prepared to make adjustments to the job to make it easier to keep. The job you did before you became unwell may not be the job for you at this time. Taking a high stress position may result in failure.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Light Up Your Life
Light Up Your Life
Want to have more energy, feel more alert and be happier in general? Try this easy tip: soak up some sunshine. Related: FREE health insights and a wa...
What are the benefits of resilience?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Resilience is the ability to bounce back. Resilience allows you to recover your strength in the most...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
High Performance Health in Everyday Life