How can I cope with the side effects of medication for a mood disorder?

Medications that target the brain can affect other physical systems as well. In fact, sometimes patients feel the side effects before the medicine's benefits kick in. This delay can be frustrating. Rest assured; the simple steps below help to decrease these side effects. Remember: never skip a dose or change your dosage without talking to your doctor first. To handle side effects, consider these solutions:
  • If the medication is affecting your sleep, you can change the time you take it, so as to be more alert during the day and tired in the evening.
  • Nausea is easily remedied when you take medication with food.
  • Change your medication.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Big or Little, Your Giving Gives Back
Big or Little, Your Giving Gives Back
Know what will happen if you drop a dollar in that holiday donation bucket? The reward centers of your brain will probably light up. In fact, they ar...
How does my mood affect the people around me?
Wondering if you're a total buzzkill?Try this little experiment: Walk into a room. Is the mood of th...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Social Policy