How common is delirium in older adults?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Delirium -- a state of mental confusion -- occurs in 10% to 20% of all hospitalized patients and in up to 50% of those undergoing hip fracture surgery, but it's under-diagnosed and undertreated. This puts older adults at risk, because the condition is associated with poor health outcomes, including postsurgical complications, longer hospital stays and an increased mortality rate.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

The Surprising Link Between Your Brain and Heart
What’s good for your heart may also be good for your brain and your mood. A report in the Gallup-Sharecare State of American Well-Being series measure...
What type of social service is best suited to me?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Deciding what type of service is right for you involves self-awareness and a commitment to a higher ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?