How good are cognitive enhancers in treating vascular cognitive impairment?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
If significant vascular cognitive impairment symptoms have already developed and you're wondering if it would be helpful to take cognitive enhancers, the answer is maybe or maybe not.

Both cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine were developed relating to the research of the degenerative Alzheimer's disease process, and in vascular dementia where there's no degenerative Alzheimer's process the evidence is mixed. But somebody who is experiencing the very beginnings of Alzheimer's disease might have two things going on at once, a so-called mixed dementia of both Alzheimer's and vascular disease, in which case cognitive enhancers would be helpful.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How to Find a Veterans Community at Home
For many United States servicemen and women, transitioning from active duty to civilian life isn't easy. Some Veterans may feel lost or isolated, or l...
Why should I have a discharge plan for my loved one with mental illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
It has been documented that on many occasions, serious mental illness (SMI) patients are discharged ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?