How can cancer affect my mental health?

Cancer can affect your mental health by causing you to feel angry, sad, afraid and worried. Finding out you have cancer and need chemotherapy are scary things. With cancer, it’s normal to feel angry, sad, afraid and worried at times, and it really helps to tell others how you feel, so that they can help you along the way. Knowing you are not alone can help. There are others having chemotherapy, and going through the same things as you. Your family and healthcare team will work hard to help you.

Approximately half of all patients with terminal or advanced cancer suffer with poor mental health. Specifically, depression, anxiety, and adjustment disorders plague people with advanced or terminal cancer. While half of terminally ill or advanced cancer patients suffer from depression, anxiety and/or an adjustment disorder, less than half of cancer patients receive treatment for their mental health.

The relationship between cancer and depression is complex. Depression may be triggered by the diagnosis of cancer, other issues related to the cancer and its treatment, or the impact of the cancer on a person's life. However, depression may occur by chance or be related to other difficult events, either in the past or in the present, which have nothing to do with cancer, such as the loss of a loved one.

Adequate recognition and treatment of depression in patients with cancer can enhance quality of life and help patients and families make the best use of their remaining time together.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Guilt-Free Ways to Say No
Guilt-Free Ways to Say No
Photo Credit: Martin Howard, via Flickr Creative Commons “Crazy busy” has become the new hip designation for those with packed schedules and over-ext...
Why is general health important in treating vascular cognitive impairment?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
In treating vascular cognitive impairment, the most important thing is to take care of the person’s ...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Can I Do to Stop Picking My Scabs?
What Can I Do to Stop Picking My Scabs?