How can I live a more honest life?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
When we have lived a life of dishonesty either consciously or unconsciously, we need lots of support to help us gain the courage to finally tell the truth. This has been my experience with both my own therapy and doing counseling with others for many years. The more a client continues to tell the truth, live the truth, and believe in the truth, the healthier and stronger they become mentally, physically, and spiritually.

As always, an accessible source of honesty and truth for me was nature. When I was a child, in times of confusion nature was the place where the power of truth resided. A rose is always a rose. Our horse always lives its truth as a horse. The seasons are pure and true. Our dog consistently lives the true life of a dog. No lies, manipulations, or confusion.

To explore and appreciate honesty, begin with a simple walk in nature. There is tremendous balance, power, and flow in the truth of nature. Another healing place to discover honesty is any twelve-step program, whether it is Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon, Narcotics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, or any similar program. It is a spiritual experience to witness the power of truth in community.

Beginning a regular spiritual practice is a step to discovering the truth of who you are and why you are here. Meditation is a simple spiritual practice that benefits your mental, physical, and spiritual health. You can find a meditation teacher in your community or take a class online.

As a spiritual director it has always been gratifying to observe clients and patients begin their paths to embracing honesty to heal their lives. When we live our truth we become whole. Energy flows through us into the world, and we become a beacon of light, love, and hope in our world.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
How Loneliness Hurts Your Health
Some people just need their alone time, but even the most introverted may eventually suffer health complications. "Humans are highly social mammals,” ...
How can a long-term physical illness affect my child's mental health?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Children with a long-lasting physical illness are twice as likely to suffer from emotional probl...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
What Are Some Issues Surrounding the Mentally Ill and Violence?