How can I live a more honest life?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
When we have lived a life of dishonesty either consciously or unconsciously, we need lots of support to help us gain the courage to finally tell the truth. This has been my experience with both my own therapy and doing counseling with others for many years. The more a client continues to tell the truth, live the truth, and believe in the truth, the healthier and stronger they become mentally, physically, and spiritually.

As always, an accessible source of honesty and truth for me was nature. When I was a child, in times of confusion nature was the place where the power of truth resided. A rose is always a rose. Our horse always lives its truth as a horse. The seasons are pure and true. Our dog consistently lives the true life of a dog. No lies, manipulations, or confusion.

To explore and appreciate honesty, begin with a simple walk in nature. There is tremendous balance, power, and flow in the truth of nature. Another healing place to discover honesty is any twelve-step program, whether it is Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon, Narcotics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, or any similar program. It is a spiritual experience to witness the power of truth in community.

Beginning a regular spiritual practice is a step to discovering the truth of who you are and why you are here. Meditation is a simple spiritual practice that benefits your mental, physical, and spiritual health. You can find a meditation teacher in your community or take a class online.

As a spiritual director it has always been gratifying to observe clients and patients begin their paths to embracing honesty to heal their lives. When we live our truth we become whole. Energy flows through us into the world, and we become a beacon of light, love, and hope in our world.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

A Resource for Moms with Kids Who Have Special Needs
To paraphrase something the actress Allison Janney once said: “If June Cleaver [Barbara Billingsley] made women in the 1950s and 60s feel bad because ...
Do my child's breathing problems increase the risk of a mental disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There has been increasing interest in the relationship between respiratory disease and anxiety and d...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Can a Child Use Mindfulness to Deal with a Mental Health Problem?