How can I cope with my mood disorder?

Because a mood disorder affects different individuals differently, becoming the expert in your own form of mood disorder and the treatments that work best for you is crucial. The tips below show you how to develop an arsenal of tools to cope with your particular manifestation of depression, dysthymia (a milder form of depression) or bipolar disorder. You can:
  • learn about your illness and its treatments;
  • determine to be a proactive, involved patient, viewing your doctor as a partner;
  • keep abreast of the research in your illness;
  • keep all your health care appointments and follow the treatment plan you've worked out with your doctor;
  • eat regular, healthy meals;
  • develop healthy, regular sleeping patterns;
  • engage in some physical activity every day;
  • treat yourself to something you enjoy every day;
  • find ways to limit the stress in your life;
  • do not become dependent on alcohol or drugs;
  • stay on top of symptoms of your illness. When a problem arises, contact your healthcare provider or other support system members; and
  • educate family and friends about your symptoms and prepare them to watch for when these behaviors emerge.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
In the movie The Social Network, a fictional depiction of the founding of Facebook, tech entrepreneur Sean Parker, played by Justin Timberlake, remark...
How can in-person support groups help me cope with mental illness?
Ellen FrudakisEllen Frudakis
Whether the in-person support group is led by a therapist or is a peer-support model, either can be ...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?