How can I accept my physical limitations?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
You don't have to like your limitations in life, but - for healing to occur - you do have to accept them. You can - and should - continue to try to find solutions for your pain and discomfort. But eventually, you must come to understand your physical struggles in the context of your mental, emotional and spiritual health.

What does this mean? It means that you begin to use your body as a teacher to transform you rather than torment you. For example, if your emotional goal is to achieve a sense of inner peace and balance in your life, then when you experience uncomfortable spasms or pain, you can say to yourself, "Okay. I hate this pain. I'm tired of these spasms, but I want to have emotional peace and balance in my life. Therefore, I'm going to let this pain remind me to be patient with my body and my limitations in this very moment of my life. I'm going to learn 'letting go,' inner strength and tolerance." When you begin to view your symptoms in this context, you can take any symptom or pain you experience and ask yourself, "How can this pain teach me to be more loving and more accepting of myself and others?" This simple exercise may ignite in you a deeper compassion for the pain of others. In this way, your very pain leads you beyond yourself into a state of greater love for others: a spiritually powerful place for healing.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

What Mental Health Issues Affect Veterans Most?
Military life can be mentally and emotionally challenging at times. Whether you're in training, deployed or a Veteran, you may be dealing with anxiety...
What are the symptoms of mania?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Symptoms of mania include the following: Elevated mood Scattered thoughts Feelings of euphoria Bei...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Are We Too Reliant on Technology?
Are We Too Reliant on Technology?