If I have a mood disorder, is it safe to volunteer for a study?

If you're concerned about safety and convenience, rest assured that clinical trials have evolved significantly in the past two decades. With the proliferation of lawsuits, the testing institution, doctors, therapists and nurses now carefully protect the rights and well-being of research volunteers.

That said, make sure that, when considering participating in a clinical trial, you center your decision on your own personal needs, interests, beliefs and expectations. Do not undergo any therapy to please family members, doctors or anyone else in your life. It's important that you research the trial thoroughly and read all agreements you're asked to sign. You have a responsibility to know all risks involved before agreeing.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Vacationing For Well-Being
In May, I took an amazing two-week vacation traveling around Europe. I ate pizza in Rome, wandered through tulip fields in Amsterdam and got starry-ey...
How can mental health conditions affect heart health?
Ashesh B. Parikh, DOAshesh B. Parikh, DO
When your stress levels are higher, it raises endorphin levels and the stress hormone, cortisol. Ele...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
High Performance Health in Everyday Life